Interim Vice Provost for Academic Personnel: A Call for Nominations and Expressions of Interest
The excellence of the UC Merced faculty is the cornerstone of the university, and the Vice Provost for Academic Personnel plays a critical role in assuring that faculty accomplishment is promoted, recognized, and rewarded in the merit and promotion system.
The Interim VPAP will work to maintain the excellence of UC Merced's faculty and academic staff, in research, teaching, service, and contributions to diversity. The Interim VPAP will serve as the senior campus official with substantial responsibilities in the areas of: (1) academic appointments, merits, and promotions; (2) academic recruitment and retention; (3) promotion of faculty diversity; (4) faculty development; and (5) non-senate academic employee and labor relations. It is important that the Interim VPAP share the university’s commitment to shared governance, including the role of the Academic Senate in upholding campus-wide academic standards.
The Interim VPAP will:
- Work with the EVC/Provost to maintain and/or shape academic personnel strategy consistent with the campus strategic plan.
- Promote high standards of academic excellence, consistent with UC policy and applicable laws.
- Pro-actively monitor, interpret, and implement the Academic Personnel Manual (APM), UC policies, federal and state regulations and compliance requirements.
- Serve as the key advisor to the university community on academic personnel matters.
- Liaise with the Academic Senate’s Committee on Academic Personnel (CAP).
- Serve as UC Merced’s representative on system-wide committees related to academic personnel.
- Lead the Academic Personnel Office, including management of systems such as AP Recruit.
The Interim VPAP should have:
- Solid knowledge of and experience with the APM and UC’s system of academic advancement, through service as a department chair, associate dean, or member of CAP/RCAP.
- Awareness and appreciation of the wide range of scholarship and teaching performed by UC Merced’s faculty in various disciplines.
- An understanding of the importance of, demonstrated success in, and strong commitment to promoting diversity and inclusion.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to explain difficult decisions and receive criticism.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively as a member of the EVC/Provost’s leadership team.
Qualified candidates are members of UC Merced’s academic senate who have achieved the rank of full professor before July 1, 2022, who are actively engaged in research and teaching, and who have relevant administrative leadership experience.
Confidential review of nominations and expressions of interest will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made. Please direct nominations and questions to Michael Richards, Senior Advisor and Chief of Staff (email@example.com).
To be ensured full consideration, please submit a cover letter/letter of interest and curriculum vitae no later than April 22, 2022. Complete submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject Interim VPAP.