Skip to content

Graduate Student Child Care Reimbursement Policies

Academic Student Employees (ASE)

University of California Academic Student Employees (ASE) represented by the United Auto Workers (UAW) are eligible for reimbursement of some child care expenses through a program established in Article 4 of the collective bargaining agreement between UC and the UAW. The program described in the fact sheet below was effective as of June 21, 2014. 

ASE Child Care Program Fact Sheet*

ASE Reimbursement Request Form 

Graduate Student Researcher (GSR)

Graduate Student Researchers at the University of California, Merced, are eligible for reimbursement of some child care expenses through a program established by the university in 2013. The program described in the document linked below became effective in June 2014.

GSR Child Care Program Fact Sheet*

GSR Child Care Reimbursement Form

Reimbursement request forms should be submitted by the deadline (end of the following semester) to the Academic Personnel Office.

* For the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 academic years, Academic Student Employees (ASE) and Graduate Student Researchers (GSR) will be permitted to seek reimbursement for childcare provided by a friend or relative living in the same household as the ASE/GSR (previously not permitted), as long as they are not:

· A person for whom the ASE/GSR (or the ASE/GSR’s spouse if filing jointly) can claim as a dependent;

· The ASE/GSR’s child who was under age 19 at the end of the year, even if the child isn't the GSR’s dependent;

· A person who was the ASE/GSR’s spouse any time during the year; or

· The parent of the ASE/GSR’s qualifying person if the ASE/GSR’s qualifying person is the ASE/GSR’s child and under age 13

As required by the IRS regulations, for purposes of reimbursement, all childcare providers who are individuals must have a valid taxpayer identification number or social security number. If the care provider is an organization, the organization must have a valid employer identification number.